I'm starting to design two bachelor pads this week; needless to say, masculine interiors are on my mind! I love a well-executed masculine space. Nothing too macho, heavy or overdone -- just effortlessly cool, comfortable, eclectic and sophisticated. It takes a thoughtful mix of quintessentially masculine pieces combined with subtle softer touches to achieve a balanced look. At the end of the day, a masculine interior should be as visually appealing to women as it is to men!
Here are a few essential elements of masculine style when it comes to the home:
1. EFFORTLESS. It's always better when it doesn't seem like you tried too hard.
2. COLLECTED. Vintage finds are key. Mixing styles will create a comfortable, worn-in feel with a personal touch.
3. TEXTURED. Because masculine interiors often have muted palettes, texture is crucial. I love all of the grasscloth wallpapers, textured wood and even velvet (!) used in masculine rooms.
4. UNDERSTATED. Less is more. Fussy is not masculine!
5. RUGGED. The rugged, hunter look lends itself well to a manly space. Something "raw" -- an exposed beam, a concrete floor -- goes a long way. Just warm up a cold room with a great rug and soft draperies.
6. EARTHY. Bring in a natural element, whether it's a plant, tree branches or even flowers.
7. ANIMAL INSTINCTS. Animal prints and accessories will never go out of style.
8. ARTISTIC. Art makes any room sing. Black and white prints or a framed jersey create a strong visual impact.
Follow these tips and the chicks will dig it. Thanks for reading!